Monday, July 21, 2008

Healthy Yummy Chili

Yes, I know it is a little hot outside but Wade and I love chili. We just crank the A/C and eat chili whenever. We both like very lean chili. This is the recipe that I always follow and we enjoy it every time. This is something you can throw on in the morning and let it cook in a roaster or crock pot.

2 lbs stew meat
1 lb ground turkey
2 cans diced tomatoes (you can use plain, chili ready, or w/ onions)
2 drained cans of dark kidney beans
1 can of chili beans in chili sauce
1/2 onion-chopped
1 green pepper-chopped (optional)
1 T. chili powder
1 T. garlic pepper (my fav is the Sav-a-lot brand)
1 T. taco seasoning
1 T. cumin
Salt- this one you will have to feel out. Salt is an enhancer. I usually do not add salt in the beginning. The is salt in some of the above seasonings. After it is hot and cooking for a while or even up to 15 min before you eat, I taste the chili. If the flavors are not blending, I add a pinch of salt. You do not want it too salty because if you use crackers, corn chips, or cheese... these also add salt.


I first brown the ground turkey and then dump it into the crock-pot / roaster. To save on dishes, I next brown the stew meat. While I am cooking the meat I add all my other ingredients to the pot. Once everything in in the pot, I give it a stir and let it cook. It need to cook a while so that the stew meat will be tender. The cooking times are:

crock pot- high to start (like while you are getting ready for work, up to an hour) and then low for at least 4 hours.
roaster- 350 for at least 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
Stove top in soup pot- high until boiling point, med low for 2 hour.

Enjoy

No comments: