Saturday, July 12, 2008

Summertime is Grill'n Time (summer burgers)

In the summer I grill 75% of the time. I enjoy the smoky flavor plus it does not heat up the house. My favorite thing to cook up for a crowd is my... well they don't really have a name... Wade calls them the "burgers with the stuff in them" They are super easy and add a kick to your burgers.

This makes 6-8 burgers.

You will need:

3lb of hamburger
1 sleeve of ritz crackers, crushed
1 large egg
1/4-1/2 red pepper chopped fine
1/4-1/2 cup fine chopped onion
2 T. Montreal Steak Seasoning
1 T. minced garlic
1 slice of provolone cheese per hamburger or BBQ sauce

Mix all but the cheese (or BBQ sauce) together. Make patties. It is hard to tell you and estimated grilling time. It depends on so many heat factors. One key to a juicy burger, of any kind, is to flip it only once. Constantly flipping our pressing on the burger with dry it out (although these burgers are a little harder to dry out). You can see the sides of the burger starting to cook. This is a sign that you are close to flipping. I also cover my grill with the lid often so I can trap some of the heat and smoke. Once you flip it over and allow the burger to cook a bit longer, you can tell how done the burger is by pressing lightly (to hard will cause the juices to run out) on the top. The more give, the more rare. You can feel the density gain as it cooks. Once close to done lay a slice of cheese on each burger. Cover with the lid. This will smoke / melt the cheese. It is also good to not use the cheese and top it will BBQ sauce. I brush them with BBQ right after I flip them... You are all done. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you might get this comment alot.....what time is dinner.....

your amazing father

Crys said...

As soon as Wade gets home from Fredtown but we just had burgers... so it will not be that.