Friday, August 1, 2008

Poppy Seed Chicken

I laugh every time I say the word chicken. Sarala talks about chickens a lot but she calls them "Kickens." So when I think of kichens... I smile.

This is one of my favorite meal. I have also not found a person who does not love it. This is a great to fix when people come over. It can also be healthy. I use reduced fat or nonfat products for this recipe but my grandma always used dark meat chicken and regular ingredients. I am going to list the recipes for the more healthy one but you can sub in as you would like.

1 Bag of boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 cans of cream of chicken soup- reduced fat
1 can of cream of mushroom soup- reduced fat
1 container sour cream -reduced fat
1/2 stick butter-melted
2 rolls reduced fat ritz crackers- crushed
2 T. poppy seeds (and really you do not HAVE to use the poppy seeds.. I have made it w/o)
1/2 T. garlic pepper

I first boil the chicken brst (remember to reserve 1/2 cup of liquid from boiling). Once they are cooked, I cut them into chunks and throw them in a bowl. I mix the chicken with the soups, sour cream, and garlic pepper. You then dump the chicken mixture into a pan (13x9, foil throw away, anything that is big enough). In another bowl you take 1/2 cup of the chicken broth you made when boiling the chicken, the butter, poppy seeds, and crushed ritz crackers. Mix that up and dump it in the chicken. Bake at 350 for about 45 mins. It should brown and be bubbly. I ususally serve this with a simple salad or green beans... It will be a hit. And.. if you know non mushroom lovers... you cannot really tell they are there.

No comments: