Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Perfect Turkey

Thanksgiving is coming! I do not think there is any meal that is more anticipated that Thanksgiving dinner. Any of you Thanksgiving dinner hosts feeling the pressure? I know I do. Even though I love to cook and really enjoy cooking Thanksgiving dinner, I feel the pressure. Everyone is around awaiting the big feast. Although the holidays are more about spending time with people that you love (or family that you feel obligated to see... ok, that was a TOTAL joke! But really, everyone has those select family members that you love but really is a little 'different!'). But really, it is about making memories and being with good friends and family. So know boday wants to make the announcement to all the awaiting guests, "Well, the turkey cannot be swallowed but we have chicken nuggets in the freezer. It will just take a few more minutes to pop them in the microwave." Although it would be a story that will be told over and over, I have some tips to help make this year's turkey the best turkey.

1) This is true with EVERY meat you cook. This is the most simple and important tip I could give you. LET YOUR MEAT REST!!! My Grandpa drives me nuts waiting for that turkey every year but I always tell him, "You touch that turkey right after I pull it from the oven, you will get it!!" You must let your meats sit. When I cook a roast I let it sit, a steak, fried chicken, EVERY piece of meat has to rest. If you cut meat while it is very hot, that first piece will be sooo juicy but the rest will be very dry. All the juice will run out with that first slice. I let my turkey set for 20-30 mins. This allows all the juice to stabilize in the meat. Then when you cut it, every piece will be juicy... even the troublesome but yummy turkey breast. Plus you can use that 20-30 minutes to pop the rolls in the oven, set the table, clean up a little bit of the mess, etc... You know how that day goes, you will not be twirling your thumbs!! :)

2) I always brine my turkey. This adds some moisture to the whole turkey but especially the breast meat. You can find many brine recipes online but this is the one I use.

1 gal of vegetable stock
1 gal COLD apple cider
1 T. peppercorns
1/2 cup minced garlic or 2 T. powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 T. rubbed sage
1 T. paprika
1 cup salt (I use kosher but you can use reg. table salt)
1 bag of ice
1 clean cooler or I use a clean 10 gal bucket (I had a pickle bucket saved from a business) I will explain the proper usage towards the end.

In a large pot boil all ingredient EXCEPT ice and apple cider. After it boils allow it to cool. In a pickle bucket (or cooler) I pour my bag of ice and cold apple cider. Then add my brine mixture. Because of the ice, cold apple cider, and cooled brine mixture... you should still see ice. THIS IS IMPORTANT!!! You cannot put a turkey in warm liquid and allow it to sit, unless you want to spend the evening in the E.R. If your mixture is still to warm, you must cool it down. It could be a pain but you must. I then lower my THAWED (or mostly thawed)turkey into the bucket or breast down in the cooler. You let the turkey sit an hour per pound. Do not over brine. Ok, so some important things about storage. I prefer to use a pickle bucket and put it in my garage. I can only do this if my garage (or somewhere safe outside) is above freezing and below 39 degrees. Because this is just like being in the fridge, it is fine. Now if you have access to a extra fridge, of course that is ideal. This is Missouri and there has been warm Thanksgivings. This is where the cooler comes in. Once you have the turkey placed breast down, I throw a trash bag on top and then open it and let the sides drape like a trash can. I place unopened bags of ice on top and then close the cooler. This extra ice may be unnecessary if the turkey is 10-12 pounds. I do a 22-24 pound turkey and it sits a whole day. If it is brining for just overnight, they cooler show remain cold enough with the cold turkey and iced brine, especially if it is a spot that is not super warm.

3) DO NOT OVER COOK. You do not want to under-cook, again ER = no fun! :) But over cooking will kill all the work you have done. If your turkey is not stuffed, you can pretty much go by the cooking times on the package plus most brands have the little poppy thing. Sometime those fail, though. I use a thermometer that my husband got for me one year. You poke the thermometer deep into the thigh before you put it in the oven. Then there is a cable that runs out the oven to a screen with an alarm. You want the thigh temperature to reach 180. I set the alarm for 172 and take it from the oven. It will continue to cook 10-15 degrees before it starts to cool off again. I always stuff my turkey and put stuffing (which must at least be 165) around it. It is insulted well with heat. I always cook my turkey at 350.

Any question? Something not clear let me know!

NEXT POST: Unbeatable Stuffing

2 comments:

fish said...

I CANNOT WAIT !!!!!!!!

Crys said...

Now that I wrote this wish for two things: 1) no ER 2) no back-up chicken nuggets! :)